Here's What's Up in My Book World
1. Have you seen this viral video about a guy who wants to date a reader? (Written and performed by Mark Grist) Winner! Where is this guy?? (Although my sister would like to point out that the girl still needs to be attractive and sweet so this video isn't perfect.)
2. Next Saturday, November 30, is Small Business Saturday. This is your day to make up for all the big box support you gave on Black Friday and show the small business owners in your neighborhood just how much you like them. Sherman Alexie has beefed up Small Business Saturday with Indies First, a way to promote small booksellers. All over the country, on Saturday, you can go to your local bookstore and buy books from your favorite authors! Sherman Alexie, Jon Scieszka, and Anita Silvey will all become booksellers for a day. Check out the map on IndieBound to find out who will be selling books in your neighborhood!
3. The National Council of Teachers of English was held in Boston this week. Boy oh boy did I miss out! Due to a lack of funds, an over abundance of sneezing, and in general nonstop work, I was unable to attend. My friend Rachel is there though! Twitter is bursting with tweets that make me jealous! Did you go? Let me know how it went!
4. Battle Bunny by Jon Scieszka and Mac Barnett (fo' realz, yo) and pictures by Matthew Myers. I sincerely apologize for not telling you about this book earlier. I have had it in my possession for nearly a month and there is just no excuse for neglecting to share it. Battle Bunny is a book of many layers. First, there is the layer that is the "real" book. One of those old fashion books like The Whispering Rabbit by Margaret Wise Brown. The "real" book is actually called Birthday Bunny and it is owned by Alex. Alex, a character we never ever see, has done to Birthday Bunny what I imagine most young boys want to do with a book just like it. That would be the second layer. I guess there are only two layers. Anyway, check it out below. Then, go buy a copy for everybody you know including yourself. (And do it at an independent bookstore on Saturday! Some of you might be able to buy it from Jon Scieszka!)
|The fake note from Alex's Gran-Gran|
5. I saw this on the internet and I liked it. I got it from http://chooseandbook.blogspot.com/
6. I just saw The Hunger Games Catching Fire!! Did you see it??? What did you think? Also, my sister and I were the Hunger Games for Halloween. Didn't see that one coming did you?